What is TAG Day?
TAG Day is our annual primary district-wide fundraising event where band students go door-to-door and simply ask for tax-deductible donations. We give everyone a TAG which contains information about the band and our performances.
When is TAG Day?
TAG Day will be on Saturday, September 16th from 8am – 1pm. We need full participation from Grafton Band families to make this event a success, so please keep the date open and plan to be a part of this event!
What happens next?
- Students will sign up at Band Camp, 4-5 students per team (half junior/senior, half sophomore /freshman).
- A sign up link will go out via e-mail for Parent Volunteers, 2 adults (a driver and a walking chaperone) will be assigned to each 4 student team.
What is the TAG-a-thon?
- The TAG-a-thon is a kick off event held during Band Camp. Students will have one hour to contact friends and relatives who don’t live in the Grafton zone. This is an opportunity for out-of-area friends of Grafton Band to make a contribution even though someone won’t knock on their door on TAG Day.
- Donations can be mailed to: Grafton High School, Attn: Band Dept. 403 Grafton Drive, Yorktown, VA 23692.
What happens on TAG Day?
- Everyone will report to Grafton at 8am on Saturday for instruction, pickup materials and get team together.
- Each team will be given a map of an assigned area and “Tags” to distribute or to leave on door knobs.
- Students will wear Band uniforms. Volunteer chaperones may bring a cooler for students to store their water and snacks.
- Students must bring their own water and snacks.
- Students will walk door to door in pairs (never on their own) and parents will keep students in sight at all times.
- Parents will report large donations and communicate with headquarters throughout the day.
- Teams who finish early may be reassigned to help out other teams.
- All teams will report back to Grafton by 12:00pm for an ice cream party to celebrate a successful TAG Day!
- Friendly competition among teams is encouraged, but we’re all working together toward the same goal . . .
What can I do?
Our biggest need is drivers! We are looking for parents who are willing to drive a group of band students on TAG Day. We especially need parents with large vehicles that can carry 6! If you don’t have a larger vehicle, consider signing up as a chaperone. While drivers take band students to neighborhoods, chaperones walk with the band students door to door monitoring student communication with residents. Each group will need to have 2 adults in every car. Parent volunteers will receive a folder with instructions, support phone numbers, map of an assigned area, donation envelope and extra Tags. Parents can decide how to most effectively cover their assigned area, keep an eye on students as they go door to door, provide water and clean snacks, and most importantly provide encouragement to keep the team going with a positive attitude throughout the day!
How do I Volunteer?
Students and parents may volunteer through the Sign Up Genius Link that will be sent to all families before TAG Day. Through this link, students and parents can choose a neighborhood on a first-come first-choice basis.
Will I be assigned to my son’s/daughter’s team? Will I be assigned to my own neighborhood?
While we will attempt to match up families and neighborhoods, we cannot guarantee a particular TAG Day assignment. Look at it as an opportunity to meet new Band kids and explore new sections of York County!
Why are we doing TAG Day?
In past years, Bingo was our primary fundraiser for the Grafton Band. Since that program was discontinued, we have been searching for a new MAJOR fundraiser to take its place. Other fundraisers (car washes, spirit nights, fruit sales, wreath sales) are not profitable enough to fully fund the Band Program for concerts, educational programs, scholarships, and instruments (to name a few). We talked with some other bands about what they do and found out about the idea to do a TAG Day!
We hope that TAG Day will be a big success and a positive experience for the students. If you have suggestions (before or after the event), please contact the TAG Day committee or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org!